Software Update, New & Old Features...

Questions, Suggestions, Concerns, & Board Issues of any sort...
Leopold
Tōfu no kado ni atama wo utte shinē
Favorites: My Scene Deux Favorites List

Software Update, New & Old Features...

Post by Leopold » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:48 am

A long overdue software upgrade has introduced many new features, and broken a couple old ones. Here are most of the differences you will notice:

The Site Banner & Logo

That was merely the first pic which came to mind when thinking of a banner screenshot that matched the color scheme we already have. It's a bit tall for my liking at the moment (but it does resize really well if you're resizing the browser). If you can think of any large sized screenshots that would go nice with this color scheme (which we can crop down to a smaller height), let me know. I can probably then implement a random banner upon every site-reload if we want.

Also a nice Scene Deux png logo would be great to replace the phpbb one now (you don't see the logo in mobile right now). I'm not great with graphics, so if anyone thinks they can whip something up before me, feel free to give it a shot. I do like the idea of a png file with some transparency to blend into the banner like the one now. But maybe you have an idea for a whole new banner/logo. I'm up for ideas, the current screen was only me messing around.

Advanced bbcode In Posts

The posting section has introduced many new formatting options & tags, from alignment to shadows to highlights and even marquee
This is highlighting & shadowed & fading & different fonts text in a marquee...

Resize Image When Posting (& Host Image @ Discord)

You can now resize images when posting with the tags [img-resize=width]url of pic[/img-resize] Just replace width with a number of pixels, like 640 which is my goto for screenshots. This will not alter the original file's size, but will display the image in your post at the desired size & ratio. You can also scale up to make the images appear larger. I think the width limit is 1500 right now, which is too large...I'll set a smaller size limit once I figure out an optimal one.

Also use our image-hosting channel @ scene deux discord (see below) for ez drag & drop image hosting :)

Youtube & other Media Embeds

Many new media embeds require no tags at all. Just post url directly for any # of sites like twitter, bandcamp, youtube, flikr, vimeo, twitch, scribd and a hundred others. Just hit preview to see how it will look. For instance here is a Bernie tweet, using just the url:

Some of our Old Youtube BBCode Broken

Unfortunately the new media embeds have broken our most used bbcode tag, the youtube tag. Past instances of youtube videos are now broken and will show up as [youtube]youtubeidcode[/youtube] :(

The shorter [yt] tag still works, but I encourage you not to use it. I'm only keeping it so those past instances where someone used the shorter tag will remain unbroken.

This is a weird catch 22 because the youtube tag was our most used tag. We can, if we want, disable youtube from directly embedding with a url and continue to use the old youtube tags, however. All of the other sites that now embed will still embed. It's a bit of a conundrum because going forward it would be easier just to copy/paste a youtube url without tags since we use them so often. Decisions decisions!!! Let me know what you think.

Customizable Profile Fields

You can use bbcode in your Interests & Favorites profile fields, or ask me if you want to add bbcode in other fields or add whatever additional profile fields you want.

Mark Post Unread

You can mark posts which are less than 30 days old as unread if you want to come back to them later. You can do this directly from a button in the top-right of the (less than 30 days old) post. Look in the top-right of this post, for instance.

Moderator Comments on Posts

If you are a moderator, for instance in your personal user forum, you may make moderator comments on any post using the mod /mod tag, like this:

Message from moderator Leopold

This post is offtopic and this user should be executed

It is this button in bbcode posting tools:

Share Post on Social Media

At the bottom of every post there are now buttons to quickly share a post on Facebook, Twitter, Reddit, Tumblr, Google+, and Whatsapp. Any other suggestions just ask.

Old Chatbox

Our old chatbox archive did not survive the upgrade, at least in presentation. I do have the entire text backup, our whole history, if any of our regular users are interested. It is a text file which looks messy but is easily searchable. For whatever reason I cannot import the entire archive when I try to reinstall our chatbox. We can still reinstall a chatbox without the archive, but seeing as how we're now mostly using Discord, I'm not sure what point there would be. Perhaps it might be good for some limited function, like for new users or something, I don't know. Let me know what you think.

Scene Deux Discord Chat

Obviously this is the biggest upgrade, and Discord is The Future

Up for discussion: do we have open invite from the site (new users would still only show up in the lobby, to be let in at our discretion). Or do we only have invites for registered forum users? Or do we only have invites at our personal discretion? I have not implemented the invite link from the widget as of yet. It does link to Discord where one can quickly sign up for an account, however:

In the near future I'm hoping to implement at least part of the discord chat functionality into the forum here. More to come on that...

Cheers, everything is up for discussion & let me know if you come across any bugs.

dans ce monde inhabitable
vaut mieux danser sur les tables
à Port Coton qu’on se revoit,
qu’on se revoit

MY FAVORITE FILMS

Dreams are the aquarium of the night.

Leopold

Re: Software Update, New & Old Features...

Post by Leopold » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:17 am

Also feel free to browse the phpbb customization database HERE and if there's any extensions you're interested in, I'll let you know if they are compatible with our site. They are generally very, very easy to add nowadays.

qu’on se revoit

MY FAVORITE FILMS

johnnyutah
Mary Sue

Post by johnnyutah » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:02 am

damn you added twitter embed after we stopped posting hahaha

Leopold

Post by Leopold » Wed Apr 03, 2019 10:13 am

lol yeah it was simple addition once I updated the forum software.

qu’on se revoit

MY FAVORITE FILMS